Since the 1840's six generations of the Flint family have worked the rich land in the south-east of South Australia. Their "Rostrevor" property sits squarely upon the famed Coonawarra terra rossa soil that has marked the region as one of the world's very finest red wine producing areas.
Daniel Flint arrived from England and landed in South Australia in 1840, just four years after the British established their new colony. In 1841, Benjamin Flint was born in Port Fairy, western Victoria, while his father, Daniel was working for the famous Henty family.
Soon afterwards the family moved back to the south-east of South Australia, farming the land around Kingston and later Penola. In 1907, Benjamin Flint purchased the current "Rostrevor" property, naming it after an estate of that name in the Adelaide Hills that he had considered buying. This purchase added to his extensive holdings in the Penola / Coonawarra district where the family focused on fine wool, sheep and cereal production.
Right: Lawrence Thornton Flint
In the early 1990's the decision was made to plant vineyards, and then a few years later the move to produce a family wine seemed a natural progression. It proved to be an excellent initiative. Our first wine, the 2001 "Gammon's Crossing" Cabernet Sauvignon won a Gold Medal at its first show The Royal Melbourne Wine Show. Two years later, the "Rostrevor" Shiraz was released.
Both wines have had outstanding successes. In 2005, they were both finalists in Winestate Magazine's "Wine of the Year Awards". In 2006, the 2004 "Rostrevor" Shiraz won trophies for the Best Red Wine at the Cairns Wine Show and also Best Shiraz at the Limestone Coast Wine Show. In 2006 we produced our first white wine, Flint's of Coonawarra "The Back Lane" Sauvignon Blanc. This has proved to be a worthy addition to the portfolio, nicely complimenting the two red wines.